Compact Cross-Dipole Sonic Tool
Providing accurate advanced acoustic reservoir measurements with industry leading conveyance options
- Velocity calibration, time/depth conversion
- Amplitude variation with offset (AVO) calibration
- Porosity estimation and lithology
- Gas identification
- Anisotropic presence, magnitude, and orientation
- Elastic properties
- Hydraulic-fracture design and sanding potential
Features and Benefits
- Propriety transmitter and receiver design obtain high-quality data in a broad range of environmental conditions.
- The small diameter and length of the tool facilitate flexible deployment, in realtime or memory mode, to mitigate nonproductive time due to conveyance failure in poor borehole conditions.
- For data assurance, the Compact™ cross-dipole sonic CXD tool records all waveform data into flash memory, independently from the data communicated by wireline.
The Weatherford Compact cross-dipole sonic (CXD) tool combines monopole and cross-dipole sonic technology to provide acoustic data for a wide variety of geophysical, petrophysical, and geomechanical applications. The data obtained by the CXD tool assists in improving reservoir characterization and ultimately maximizes well and reservoir productivity.
The tool has three high-powered transmitters—one monopole and two wideband, low-frequency, dipole transmitters perpendicular to each other. The receiver section has an array of eight receiver stations. Each receiver station consists of four gain-matched, piezoelectric hydrophones that are aligned with the dipole transmitters. The tool records 96 high-fidelity, wideband waveforms, ensuring excellent quality control.
Patented isolator technology prevents direct flexural wave transmission to the receivers through the tool body and provides a rugged tool for flexible conveyance.
Anisotropic orientation data is produced by combining the CXD with the Compact borehole navigation (MBN) tool or Compact microimager (CMI) tool.