Compact Oil-Base Mud Microimager
Delivers high-definition, fullbore images in nonconductive muds
- Visualizing complex structures
- Identifying faults and fractures and their orientation
- Determining structural dip
- Defining crossbeds, thin beds, and net-to-gross ratio in sand-shale sequences
- Identifying sand-shale facies and sand counts
- Evaluating secondary porosity
- Depth-matching, orientation and substitution of cores, structural and breakout analysis, and true vertical depth (TVD) analysis
Features and Benefits
- Eight pads with 72 total measurement electrodes and excellent dynamic range measurement electronics provide excellent pad contact for reliable microresistivity measurements and six independent caliper readings.
- Each pad is gimbaled, and pad pressure is selectable.
- The unique measurement system delivers high-definition images in oil-based muds, regardless of borehole conditions that would exclude conventional tools.
- The microimager records all high-resolution data into flash memory in the time domain, independently from the data communicated by wireline.
- The resulting high-definition, fullbore images improve geological interpretation for confident decision making in complex reservoirs.
- An integrated navigation package is positioned close to the pads. The microimager is fully combinable with other Compact logging tools and Assure™ conveyance for improved operational efficiency and reliability.
The Compact™ oil-base mud microimager (COI) provides formation images in oilbase muds (OBM) for dip and fracture detection, sedimentary structure characterization, thin-bed evaluation, facies analysis, and orientated resistivity and dipmeter computation. The excellent borehole coverage and high-resolution imaging provided by the COI enable detailed reservoir description and enhance decision making. The tool operates in any oil-, diesel-, or synthetic-based mud.
The COI consists of a memory section (MIM) and a measurement section (MOE). High-resolution, time-based data is recorded into the MIM while 3.9-in. (10-cm) depth-based data is transmitted to the surface.
The COI is compatible with Reveal 360TM image processing, a patent-pending, dynamic digital imaging technology that uses microresistivity measurements to deliver a complete 360° view.