Advanced Formation Density (AFD) Tool
Providing industry-leading logging speed, high-quality compensated bulk density, and lithology determination
- Formation bulk density determination
- Formation lithology identification
- Gas detection
- Hydrocarbon density determination
- Overburden pressure determination
Features and Benefits
- The advanced formation density (AFD) tool offers simplified and improved response characterization with increased efficiency.
- The tool measures density response in a single window for reduction of Pe effects.
- In rugose holes, the AFD tool provides advanced borehole corrections for greater accuracy of the log data.
- The AFD sensors measure pad offset and pad tilt, which provides proof of pad contact with the borehole wall that aids in quality checks of the data.
- The short tool enables industry-leading logging speeds for rig time and cost savings.
The Weatherford AFD tool provides high-quality formation bulk density and photoelectric absorption index (Pe) to determine lithology and porosity.
Like the spectral Pe density (SPeD) tool, the AFD tool uses long- and shortspaced detectors along with a Cs137 source for the calculations. However, with its improved magnetic shielding, flasking, electronics, and pad contact, the AFD tool has achieved an increased logging speed of 60 ft/min (18 m/min), reliability improvements, and better borehole correction in rugose hole conditions.