Surface System— Version C
Providing data acquisition and analysis in a single system at the wellsite for all high-bandwidth downhole
- Fully supports cased-hole logging services
- Fully supports Compact™ openhole services
- Supports standard openhole services that do not require ac power
- Fully supports single-, three-, and seven-conductor wireline requirements of cased-hole and Compact services
Features and Benefits
- All panels in the Weatherford surface system─Version C (WSS-C) are contained in a transportable case, providing a complete backup system that can be shipped anywhere.
- This data-acquisition system operates under a single software platform and with Weatherford logging software. It performs all required cased-hole services and supports Compact and standard openhole services that do not require ac power. Use of this consolidated data-acquisition system increases operating efficiency and reduces operator costs.
- The WSS-C complies with single-, three-, and seven-conductor wireline requirements. It provides operators with a single source that communicates with and powers downhole tools regardless of the number of conductors required.
- Automatic line equalization streamlines communications on different types of wireline, which improves data gathering in complex wellbores.
- Wireline contained on a split drum is routed directly into the system rack for efficient processing.
- The WSS-C uses a high-speed telemetry interface that can operate the newest of Weatherford cased-hole logging tools.
- Improved analog casing-collar-locator (CCL) response distinguishes between casing collars in more detail on the operator’s casing collar logs.
- Based on service load, the automatic communication setup changes to the correct communication scheme for improved efficiency.
- The low-noise dc power supply generates no interference and therefore improves the quality of the noise-tool logs.
- The high-power (2-A, 600-V) dc power supply provides more power to downhole tools than with previously offered power supplies, which increases support for downhole tools.
- The depth-drive simulator enables checking of logging-tool response to depth without engaging the winch.
- Battery backup enables the WCM-C modem and wireline interface panel (WIP) to operate on dc power if no ac power is available.
- The dual-sensor free point tool (DSFT) is supported without installing an additional exterior panel tool.
The Weatherford Surface System—Version C (WSS-C) is a transportable wireline data acquisition system incorporating capabilities that were previously delivered via two independent systems. The WSS-C supports openhole and cased-hole logging services. It is both a transportable backup system and a shop system that supports Compact™ and standard openhole logging services that do not require ac power. Weatherford provides increased capabilities and improved operational efficiencies by consolidating our surface system capabilities into a single system using Weatherford logging software (WLS) coupled with additional downhole tool development.
The system combines new and existing technology to deliver nearly a full complement of wireline services. New surface hardware supports Weatherford cased-hole, high-speed telemetry and most traditional cased-hole tools. A new digital-signal-processing surface-modem panel (WCM-C) and a new 2-A, 600-Vdc power supply support cased-hole, Compact, and standard openhole product lines that do not require ac power. Because the WSS-C does not contain a Hanson perforation monitor, the system is not intended to be used for ballistic operations.
System Panel Description
Potential Monitor (HPM-D) provides continuous stray-voltage, ground-integrity, and radio-frequency (RF) monitoring during well perforating.
Ethernet Hub (ETH-A) routes network communication both inside and outside the WSS-C.
DC Power Supply (SRS-D)—monitored and controlled by the WIP and acquisition software—provides up to 600-V/2-A dc power with lower electrical noise than with previously available power supplies.
Surface Modem Panel (WCM-C) processes cased-hole, high-speed telemetry, analog, pulse, digital, sonic, and Compact data. The WCM-C also provides automatic wireline-signal equalization, tool gains, sonic synchronization, and pulse discrimination to support proper communication between the data-acquisition system and downhole tools over single-conductor cable.
Wireline Interface Panel (WIP-A/B) provides the system interface to the wireline (single- or multiple-conductor) and necessary signal conditioning. A function switch allows the engineer to select mode of operation (Shoot, Correlate, Off, Log, Disconnect, Line Test, and External Rear).
Power Distribution Unit (PDU-B) receives primary power (120 or 240 Vac) from the logging unit and provides conditioned, regulated 12-Vdc and 120-Vac power to other panels in the system, external cabinet outlets, and various panels in the WSS-C.