LoTORQ Mechanical Friction-Reduction System
Weatherford developed the LoTORQ™ system as a centralizer and an axial and rotational friction-reduction system to perform independently of drilling or completion mud-film strength or lubricity.
This unique system, which uses bidirectional rollers, has been proven on the world’s most challenging wells. Rollers that are in contact with the inner pipe can achieve exceptionally low friction factors, with rotating coefficients in cement being as low as 0.04. Rollers with a higher profile for contacting the exterior wellbore wall have routinely reduced axial-friction factors by 60 percent.
The vast majority of LoTORQ tools have been used in extended-reach wells to run and rotate liners. The LoTORQ mechanical friction-reduction system now makes possible pipe rotation once limited by torque, providing optimal displacement efficiency and cement sheath.
The LoTORQ tools provide optimal performance when:
- Casing, liner, and screens are being run into horizontal and extended-reach wells
- Long and/or heavy cemented liners are being rotated
- Health, safety, and environmental requirements ban the use of oil-based and pseudo-oil-based mud
- Under-pressured formations may cause differential sticking
- Run in conjunction with high-strength stop collars
Features, Advantages and Benefits
- Bidirectional rollers provide low torque and axial drag to get casing, liners, or screens to bottom successfully, reducing rig time and costs.
- Low torque and drag allows for rotation and reciprocation, providing improved mud displacement and cement job.
- Minimal roller-contact area in openhole applications reduces the risk of differential sticking and provides optimal standoff, increasing operational efficiency.
- Rollers provide superior wear resistance and remain functional for the life of the well, allowing casing or tubing retrieval, if necessary.
- Unique engineering and material selection ensures that axle shear stresses remain within elastic limits, preventing roller failure.
- High-quality material selection provides excellent high temperature/pressure and corrosion resistance performance, reducing replacement costs.