Iron Derrickman S3 Pipe-Handling System
Mechanically lifts and racks triple stands of drillpipe, heavyweight collars, and drill collars
- Medium to large triple land rigs
- Jackups, platforms, and barges
- Significantly enhances safety by removing personnel from the mast and floor when tripping tubulars.
- The system can be used to build stands without interrupting drilling operations.
- Complete control of the pipe while lifting and moving it toward well center reduces pipe swing, thread damage caused by misalignment or motion, and inadvertent contact between the pin and stump and/or other rig-floor equipment and personnel.
- The smooth, repetitive movements of the system improve tripping efficiency and greatly reduce costs for repairing pipe-thread damage.
- The derrickman can work next to the driller in the doghouse, which provides the opportunity for more effective learning.
- Both portable and wired controls for operation from the driller’s cabin or the rig floor
- Easy integration with zone management systems
- Semiautomated controls for easy operation
The patented Weatherford Iron Derrickman S3 model is a racking board and pipe-handling system that enhances safety and efficiency by eliminating the need for personnel on the racking board and the drill floor during tripping operations. The Iron Derrickman S3 system lifts and smoothly racks triple stands of drillpipe, heavyweight collars, and drill collars with programmed sequential movements. The system can use existing racking-board mounts. It rigs up or down quickly with the integrated racking-board winch.
The Iron Derrickman S3 system can trip 40 to 45 stands per hour. When paired with Weatherford offline stand-building solutions, the system provides substantial time savings by building stands away from the critical path without interrupting drilling operations.
- Racking-board camera system
- Remote log-in diagnostic service
- Offline stand building
- Pipe cleaning and doping
|Reach||7 ft (2.13 m)||14 ft (4.27 m)|
|Total weight without racking board||11,000 lb (4,990 kg)||11,000 lb (4,990 kg)|
|Lifting capacity||15,000 lb (6,804 kg)||6,000 lb (2,722 kg)|
|Maximum reach||14 ft (4.27 m)||14 ft (4.27 m)|
|Handling of drillpipe, weights, and collars||2-7/8 to 8-1/4 in.||2-7/8 to 8-1/4 in.|
|Manipulation of collars*||9-1/2 in.||9-1/2 in.|
|Flow, minimum||38 gal/min (144 L/min)||38 gal/min (144 L/min)|
|Pressure, minimum||3,000 psi (207 bar)||3,000 psi (207 bar)|
*Optional equipment is required to manipulate collars.