Compact™ Sonic Tool
Delivers accurate acoustic reservoir measurements
- Determining secondary porosity and lithology
- Determining formation mechanical properties
- Providing gas detection
- Integrating seismic, time-to-depth corrections
- Providing a synthetic seismogram when combined with the Compact photodensity (MPD) tool
- Providing a cement bond log
Features and Benefits
- Unlike traditional 3- to 5-ft (0.91- to 1.52-m) sonic tools, the Compact sonic sonde (MSS) uses a single-sided array with depth-derived, cave compensation and tilt correction. This feature, together with a short electronics package, makes the tool unusually short and light.
- The MSS passes through restrictions as small as 2.5 in. (63 mm), enabling thru-drillpipe logging for increased operational efficiency.
- The small diameter of the tool facilitates deployment in wireline or memory mode to mitigate the risk of bridging events and to reduce nonproductive time.
- The MSS can be run simultaneously with other Compact tools.
The Weatherford Compact sonic sonde (MSS) measures formation compressional slowness (inverse velocity) at five long spacings with 1- and 2-ft (0.30- and 0.61-m) vertical resolution. In cement bond log (CBL)/variable density log (VDL) mode, the MSS tool records a waveform—normally from the 5-ft (1.52-m) receiver—and up to four first-arrival amplitude logs. The ratio of two amplitude curves defines an attenuation log that is sensitive to cement bond quality.
Data quality is maintained at high levels over a broad range of environmental conditions from a combination of high transmitter output, real-time despiking, and cycle-stretch compensation. Cycle-stretch compensation gives improved accuracy and consistency by adjusting transit times based on information about waveform shapes close to the first arrivals.
Compressional Δt, porosity, waveforms, amplitude
3,600 ft/hr (18 m/min)
Measurement range - compressional slowness
40 to 250 µs/ft (130 to 820 µs /m)
Compressional Δt: 2 ft (0.61 m)
Δt: ±1 µs/ft (±3 μs/m)
Depth of investigation
3 in. (76.2 mm)
WBM, OBM, salt
Maximum outer diameter
2.25 in. (57 mm)
12.5 ft (3.8 m)
73 lb (33 kg)
15,000 psi (103 MPa)
Maximum borehole diameter
14 in. (356 mm)
Minimum borehole diameter
2.8 in. (70 mm)
The Compact sonic sonde (MSS) provides accurate acoustic measurements in wireline or memory mode.
Reach out to optimize reservoir performance
Please fill in the form below for more information on our comprehensive and high-resolution technologies. You will hear from one of our wireline representatives shortly.
Thank you for contacting us.
Your request is being directed to the appropriate person in our organization.
We will be in touch soon.